Ayers House in North Terrace, is one of the most historic of Adelaide's buildings. From 1855 until 1897, this was the home of Sir Henry Ayers, the man after whom Ayers Rock is named. He was premier of South Australia on five different occasions, but only for a total of four years, between 1863 and 1873. The house was actually built in 1846 for William Paxton, a chemist in the city, but it was purchased by Ayers in 1855 and he then lived here until his death in 1897, gradually expanding the building into the 41-room mansion which stands now. Subsequently it was used as a dance hall and then as nurses' quarters, but now it is a museum. 288 North Terrace, Adelaide (08 8223 12340).
This small but incredible building gained its unusual name because of its turret and beehive cement mouldings. It was built in 1895 and is a good example of neo gothic architecture. Restored in 1998, it is the entrance to the Rundle Mall in the CBD. 32-40 King William Street, Adelaide
General Post Office
The General Post Office is on the corner of Victoria Square, in King William Street. Not all of the fine stone building is now used for its original purpose, but part of it still is.
This is the oldest Government house in Australia. The oldest part of Government House, the East wing, dates back to 1839. This house is the private residence of the Governor, but is does have two open houses per year, garden tours a few times annually and some charitable and community events in the grounds.
Corner North Terrace and King William Street, Adelaide ( 08 8223 1655).
Edmund Wright House
Edmund Wright House was built in 1878 as the Bank of South Australia. The ornamental work required the skills of expert craftsmen, some brought from overseas to undertake the task. The building became unoccupied in 1995, and was used as the State History Centre. It now hosts occasional functions and exhibitions. King William Street, Adelaide
Holy Trinity Church
This is the oldest church in South Australia. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Hindmarsh in 1838. The clock was made in 1836 and shipped from England. It has recently been restored. North Terrace, Adelaide
In Glenelg, five minutes walk north of the town centre and close to the Sailing Club is a replica of H.M.S. Buffalo, which made the journey from Portsmouth in 1836 to bring the first settlers here. The original ship was later wrecked off New Zealand, but this replica was constructed from the original Admiralty plans. It was built here between 1980 and 1982 and is a seafood restaurant and museum. Corner Adelphi Terrace and Anzac Highway, Glenelg (08 8294 7000).
Jetty Road is the main street of the seaside suburb of Glenelg. The tram line runs along this street and tram rides are free for the length of Jetty Road only. Here can be found the main shopping area, as well as several historic buildings, including the Congregational Church, now known as St. Andrew's Uniting Church. The original church here opened in 1859 and is now used as the Church Hall. The present Italianate church was built in 1880. The pipe organ, with 1,068 pipes, was installed in 1883. .
Light Square contains the grave of and memorial to the man who designed this city, Colonel William Light.
King William Street
King William Street, the principal street of the city, is wide and lined by some imposing buildings.
Memorial Rock in Glenelg marks the place where Colonel Light and his team disembarked in 1836 to begin the task of searching for a site for the capital of South Australia. From the centre of Glenelg, walk north along the foreshore past the Surf Life Saving Club and as far as the isthmus, about five minutes walk, to find this spot.
National Soldiers' War Memorial
On the corner of Kintore Avenue and North Terrace stands the National Soldiers' War Memorial, erected in 1931.
Parliament House and Old Parliament House
Parliament House is in North Terrace between King William Street and the Railway Station. The western part of this building (Old Parliament House) was constructed in 1889, but the remainder was not added until 1939. When Parliament is not sitting, there are tours of the building between 10:00 and 14:00. When Parliament is sitting, the public is admitted to watch proceedings from 14:00.
Old Adelaide Gaol
The Old Adelaide Gaol was opened in 1841 and operated until 1988, it is located centrally in Adelaide's parklands.Forty-five prisoners were executed here during the Gaol's period of service, including Elizabeth Woolcock in 1873, the only woman to be executed in South Australia. At first the executions used to take place outside the main gate, but later condemned prisoners were hanged on a gallows inside the Gaol. On weekdays you can do a self guided tour of the Gaol, there are guided tours on Sundays as well as Ghost Tours, Night Tours and Sleep Overs! 18 Gaol Road, Thebarton (08 8231 4062). Bus from city
The Railway Station, in North Terrace, is a fine stately building constructed in 1928. It is still used as the terminus for all suburban rail services, operated by diesel railcars, but, sadly, not for any long-distance services. Go down the ramp at the corner, or the steps a little further along North Terrace to reach the trains.
Ruthven Mansion is in Pulteney Street, near North Terrace. It was Adelaide's first block of city flats, constructed in 1911.
The Scots Church is in North Terrace, on the corner of Pulteney Street. It was constructed in 1850 and is the second oldest church in Adelaide, known for its stained glass windows and its sanctuary furnishings.
At the eastern end of Grenfell Street the Tandanya Complex is to be found. This is a centre for aboriginal art and culture from all over Australia. Art and artefacts are available for purchase and there are didgeridoo performances every day at 12:00. The centre is open daily from 10:00 until 17:00. Tandanya is the name for Adelaide in the local aboriginal language.
Tattersalls Hotel, in Hindley Street, was built in 1882. Kelly's Heritage Bar features original heritage decor.
The Old Gum Tree
The Old Gum Tree is some two kilometres north-east of the Glenelg city centre and is the tree beside which Governor Hindmarsh chose to read the Proclamation of the Establishment of South Australia on 28th December 1836. A re-enactment is held on the same date each year. .
Victoria Square, in the heart of the city, has a fountain in its centre. From its southern end the only remaining tram service in Adelaide departs for Glenelg.